'Tis the season to get out into the garden and pick out the weed that are threatening to kill all your annuals and perennials that you worked so hard planting in the Spring.
Although this year I decided to say enough is enough with spending a bundle on flowers that I can only enjoy for maybe three month of the year. Southern Ontario is a zone 5 so it gets a little cold for all but the heartiest of native plants by early October (if your lucky).
This year I found a couple of great deals on Ebay for Cotton and Polyester flowers, although they try to sell them as Silk. I don't know why they do this, but it's better that the Tiger and Water Lillies, Orchids, Roses and the two Palm trees (a Yucca and a Phoenix Palm) that I bought are made from this durable blend.
I did a little research and found out that this type of artificial plants are guaranteed for six or more years depending on location and climate. I sprayed a liberal coating of an acrylic lacquer, resistant to water and staining on them, which should extend their wear. Note, test your lacquer out on the underside of a petal or leaf first.
The artificial along with the row of Pine trees lining one side of the yard, the late blooming Lilacs to the rear, and to my pleasant surprise, a large flowering shrub has sprung up on the remaining side camouflaging to an extent an eye sore weed tree that is growing through my fence from a neighbors side who repeatedly states that he is planning to cut it down; all help to provide a little escape from the ugliness of my inner city surroundings.
Any way I digress, I would love to find out what this flower is. I never planted it and nobody I've talked to knows who or when it was planted. I would best describe the flowers as reddish orange bell shaped. Anyone who knows the name of this, please drop a not, I would be happy.
I don't have a camera so I don't have any pictures, if I remember while I'm out I'll pick up a disposable and snap some shots and post them later.
Any who, here is the recipe for my homemade weed killer that is 100% good for the environment and guaranteed to turn anything organic brown and dead so be careful around the grass,
This is for a 10 Litres (2.5 US Gallons) batch that will easily cover an average size garden or yard.
All conversions are ballpark
10 Litres (2.5 US Gallons) of Water
1 Litre (32 Ounces or 4 cups) White Vinegar
283Grams (10 Ounces or 22 Tbsp) Regular Table Salt
Boil water in a large pot, add vinegar and salt. Pour HOT liquid on weeds to be killed. BE CAREFUL how you pour the water as not to burn yourself and I repeat don't let the water run on top of the soil because it will kill what ever it touches.
No comments:
Post a Comment