An opening of one's knowledge,capabilities, vision and guidance. The Kenaz is about creating a relationship,learning and allowing room for interpretation. When you are in the darkness,an opening with light is the best and most gracious thing to have bestowed upon you. This is a great time for putting energies into new opportunities. Come share my world as I see it.

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Hamilton Business Pioneer:Sam Netkin

My father worked for this man back in the 1950's at the Netkin family produce company that was located on the lot that is now Hamiltons Jackson Square. My father was 15 at the time and started out hooking up the horses to their delivery carts. A few years later he began driving for them. From all accounts from my father, Sam Netkin was very generous, especially with the Christmas bonuses.

Even in the toughest of times, Sam Netkin was willing to lend a helping hand to anyone who needed it. Click on sacn to read full story.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi My name is Richard Netkin I am Sam;s grandson. It was so nice to read the comment you made about my Zade. He was loved by his family and everyone whom he met. We have the Spectator article proudly displayed in our office in Miami where we continue on in the produce business three generations after our Zade started the company in Hamilton in the early 1900's.
Thanks again,
Keep Well
Have a Sonny Day

Anonymous said...

Still after many years I think about my Zade every day. I'm the youngest of his 11 grandchildren and remember our times together fondly. On Sundays when I was very young Zade would take all the grandchildren for breakfast by himself. Sometimes we would open our front door in the mornings on the weekends and there would be a big box of fruit that he dropped off before anyone was a awake.

I was doing a search of our name and found your blog so I thought I would post. I sit in my little home office surrounded by memories of S. Netkin & Sons. I've been fortunate to gather a great collection of pictures and signage and even furniture from the old days. Every time I pick up a piece of fruit I think of Zade and my father.

Never Forget!

Lisa Netkin

Anonymous said...

I am formerly from Hamilton and I can tell you that my parents were hues fans of Mr. and Mrs. Sam Netkin. A stylish man, he always had the best, the best box at the TiCats games, his daughters wedding flowers were the talk of the town. Original, honest, I've never heard anyone speak ill of him. A wonderful man.
Michael McLaughlin

Henrietta Wasik said...

I'm writing a novel in which Hamilton Ontario figures prominently. I was writing about Hamilton Market in the 1940's and remembered the wholesalers that catered to shop owners during that period. The name Netkin came to mind as I remembered my father, a store keeper, who dealt with Netkin's during that period. I didn;t know Mr. Netkin but remember that my father had a great deal of respect for his business acumen.